Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Gotta Pick Your Terms

I wouldn't so much call myself "anti-social" as much as I would call myself "asocial". I mean, "anti-social" has a lot of connotations that aren't quite accurate. Using "asocial" is much closer to what I am.

I mean, when I need them, I have social skills. Though, it'd probably be more accurate to say that I have professional social skills. I'd probably have personal social skills if I could figure out why the hell anyone would want to interact with me in the first place. I'm not real big on chit-chat. Seems like a waste of time to talk at length about nothing. And, yes, I appreciate the intrinsic irony of making that statement within the context of an entire "blog" (ugh: hate that term - sounds vaguely scatalogical) that's essentially me talking about nothing (either in blurbs or at length).

<tangent>Maybe I blog because I love the opportunity to use parentheses? But, I digress. <subtangent>Perhaps it's the ADHD?</subtangent></tangent>

At any rate, when I think of the term "anti-social" I think of the socially inept, clue-lacking hater of his fellow man. That's not exactly me.

While I find that many things that my fellow man do are utterly hateful and frequently leave me utterly exasperated, I don't necessarily "hate people". I just hate the things that people do. I used to be disappointed by people. Then, I tried lowering my expectations. And, when that, inevitably, failed to work, I simply tried to develop my abilities to ignore and sublimate. I tried to turn everything into a game and find ways of constructing those games such that I'd win (even if most people aren't really cognizant that they're a participant in my games).

While I can be or act social, I generally choose not to. The skills and such are there, I'm just discriminating in when I choose to expend the energies to use them. I think that makes me more asocial than anti-social. I'm indifferent to people and society, not actively looking forward to its demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment