Monday, November 1, 2010

I'm An Information Pack-Rat

Some people hoard things, I hoard data. At least data doesn't take up much in the way of physical space.

To give you an indication of how much I hoard data, I have emails and Usenet posting from the mid-90s. I'd still have my college email from the late 80s if I hadn't lost it in a filesystem failure a number of years ago.

Still, being a data hoarder can be useful. I've got a project at work that may benefit from some documentation I wrote in 2005 and some scripts I wrote in 2006. Addiction justified!

Of course, hoarding anything isn't terribly helpful if you don't know how to find the stuff you've kept. Fortunately, for now, I have a memory that's far above average. So, in that mass of data, I usually know how or what it was stored under so I can set up an appropriate search.

No comments:

Post a Comment