Friday, August 13, 2010

My Kingdom for an "Empty Trash" Button

Ok. I get it: storage is dirt-cheap. No one, except old-timers, bothers to empty their trash or otherwise permanently delete things. That is, they don't until/unless they get an "over quota" hate-mail from their administrator. But, given the oodles of space Google and the like make available, you're unlikely to ever see an "over quota" type of notification.

Some of us, however, are in the habit of cleaning up after ourselves. Some of us do like to empty our trash cans. And, in the end, permanent deletion should be a one-, maybe tow-click process - whether there's one or a million items to do away with.

I'm guessing that Google doesn't really have a "human factors" team involved in their design process. If they did, the travesty that is their method for emptying trash wouldn't exist. To finish the delete process, you have to:

  1. Open the trash folder
  2. Click on the "checkmark actions" button
  3. Select the "Select All" menu (or, individually check each message on the page)
  4. Click on the "Delete Forever" button
  5. Click on the "OK" button to confirm that you actually want to make it all go bye-bye
  6. Repeat 1-5 for each page worth of presented messages

Nowhere is there simply an "empty" trash button that allows me to say "nuke it all in one, swell foop". Hell, it wouldn't even be quite so horrible if I had the option to increase the number of items displayed per page (I mean, most sites let you choose the number of objects to display - frequently in an increment dropdown of like "10, 25, 50..." - sometimes they'll even offer an "all" display-option). That way, I could nuke my 300 messages in less than the thirty iterations of steps 1-5 (above) that the current scheme seems to require.

C'mon, guys: you're engineers. Most engineers I know like to minimize their effort. As it currently stands, if I want to nuke out my 300 messages, I have to take like 150 discreet actions. Does that make any kind of sense? Fuck: if you were to offer a "GV Premium" who's only feature was an "empty trash" button or a "change number of items displayed per page" dropdown, I'd sign up for that "premium" service.

No comments:

Post a Comment