Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thanks For Nothing, Fuckers

Was kind of annoyed when I went to use my Hue app. Opened the app to control my lights, and the app announced to me, "you need to use the Bridge v1 application, now".

So, yeah, confirmation of why I'll never spend a huge amount on any given IoT device: deprecation. LED lightbulbs typically advertise lifetimes in excess of two decades. So, notionally, once you've paid the premium for Hue bulbs, you're done paying for bulbs for twenty or so years. EXCEPT! ...if you wish to continue being able to actually control those long-lived devices, Philips apparently wants you spend $100+, every few years, to buy a new damned bridge?

Fuck.

That.

Noise.

And, the thing is, you know that Philips won't be alone in that nonsense. So, sorry Samsung (et. al.): while I could maybe see my way to laying out $10K for a "smart" refrigerator that will last me a couple decades, I'm certainly not dropping that much, every few years, just so I can keep using all of those "smart" features.

Somehow, it feels like "IoT" is destined to become a further driver of burgeoning landfills.

No comments:

Post a Comment