Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beware: Dancing Elephants

Much as I (probably) write too much, I read too much. Hell, I read even more than I write. If you've looked at my post counts, you'll know that if I'm reading more than I write, I'm writing one helluva lot.

In general, I try to stay away from the news. It's not that I don't want to be informed, it's that I don't want to indulge in the theatre of horrors that the news has become. Worse, the news manages to seek out and find more and more horrors on a daily basis. At this point, it's reached a level that transcends horror and becomes more like absurd.

How to deal with theatre of the absurd? Try to enjoy it because it's out of your hands, any way.

Much of what I see, particularly in the financial press, is dancing elephants. I could read and be outraged, but what does that do for me? I'm relatively powerless. I'm just an ant. I can tell that the elephants are dangerous and will someday, in their stumbling about, crush me and everything I hold dear. All I can really do is try to stay out of the way for as long as possible and enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment