Friday, October 15, 2010

Making Sense of Programming

Sometimes, I think the various networks and cable channels forget that most people have remote controls. I think they also forget that the typical cable package has a half million freaking channels to choose from. I mean, how else do you explain some of the programming choices. Don't get me wrong: it used to make sense to sandwich weak shows between strong shows because it was a hassle for people to get up, flip through the channels to find something better and then have to repeat the exercise to get back to the next, strong program. You didn't used to have a lot of simultaneous choices and not everyone had a remote. These days... Many people find that there's so much programming on that they're interested in, that they need DVRs to be able to see them all. So, if someone puts three shows back-to-back, and the one in the middle is weak, there's a lot of alternatives that are quickly reached at the touch of a remote.

At this point, it seems that sandwich programming risks more than it rewards. I mean, if I flip away from your station to get away from a bad program, it gives me the opportunity to notice that, not only is the show I'm watching its place better, but I might find something I like more in the next time slot. Tossing that weakling out in front of the next strong program might make it so I stop watching that strong program (or, just as bad, record that program and skip all the commercials).

No comments:

Post a Comment