Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not the First

Tonight, I saw the Flyers finish up their pre-season against the Buffalo Sabres. This year, Buffalo has seen fit to bestow the captaincy on Grier. Kinda cool. I saw the "C" on his jersey and couldn't recall whether he was the first black NHL team captain or not. So, I decided that, upon getting home, I'd look it up.

Ok, so, it turns out that Jerome Iginla was the first black NHL captain. Put him next to Grier, though, and tell me which one looks he's the first black NHL captain? Not to put too fine a point on it, but Jerome Iginla is about as black as Tiger Woods is."

And, cool for being the first, but it seems like it was an "acceptable" first. Much the way that Obama was an exceptable first to be PoTUS. As it is, I just don't think much of the broader America is ready for someone that looks very black to hold certain positions or be widely popular. We may like to think we are or to say we are, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it.

So, yeah, it was kinda nice to see someone that wasn't just "acceptably black" getting the "C".

No comments:

Post a Comment