Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New UPS?

Got a call from the wife, today. Apparently, everything plugged into the decade-old UPS was dark. Further, attempts at resetting the UPS failed to result in a return of power to the attached devices. So, I went online and looked around for a new UPS. I found what looked to be a decent one for $193. Unfortunately, when you added in shipping, it would have been $325.

Now, there was once a point in time when I could justify that kind of money for a UPS. Indeed, the UPS that had, apparently, died had once set me back nearly $800. However, it was providing power backup and conditioning for several computers that I was using to perform web, mail and file service out of my basement.

I'm not doing that, any more. Mostly, I just need something to keep my fileserver and my VOIP-stuff online. Thus, spending for a like-kind replacement just doesn't make sense.

So, I left work and dropped by MicroCenter on the way home. Picked up a consumer-grade 1350VA UPS for half that total outlay. Got home, swapped in the new UPS and everything's back online. Sadly, I couldn't leave well enough alone. So, be for tossing it out, I decided to see if I plug it in and see if I could get it working again. Plugged it in, clicked on the startup toggles and it sprang to life. Best I can figure is that, when lugging the 75lbs. beast upstairs, I had hit the circuit-breaker button. At any rate, it's still working, but, I don't feel like lugging it back downstairs and remounting it. So, out in the closet it went. Still just chapped that I wasted time and $160 at MicroCenter when I might not really have needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment