Sunday, August 1, 2010

Inverse Expectations

In general, I don't sleep much. If the average human being truly requires 8-10 hours of sleep, per night, then I am what you'd refer, in statistics, as an "outlier". Much like you alway had a kid in class that blew the bell curve, I pull the sleep curve down. My sweet spot seems to be in the "just shy of five-hour" zone. Below three hours, too many days in a row (say, about two straight weeks at 3hrs/night) I start to get muddy. Beyond six hours, and I seem to get into a state where I spend the rest of the day "dopey". And, in this dopey state, I find myself even more irritable than my normal, "sunny" disposition.

Today, I got seven hours of sleep. Possibly more. Yet, I find myself feeling utterly sapped of energy - borderline "nappy". And, my temper is on a fucking hair-trigger. I can't deal with Donna. I can't deal with the dogs. It's definitely been one of those "why the fuck did the universe let me see another day" kind of day.

I'm surprised I'm even writing, given that these are the kinds of days where I most tend to feel like unplugging forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment