Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sometimes, I Hate the Written Word

I think, for the most part, I've gotten over things like they're/their/there, your/you're, accept/except, lose/loose, whether/weather ...etc. Hell, even I frequently find myself asking, "wait: is it effect or affect" or "is it principal or principle" or "capitol or capital". I think why I find those all a bit more acceptable is that, "at least they sound the same".

However, I still find that there are some errors send a shiver down my spine. I'd say that they were like Freddy Krueger dragging his hand across a chalk board, but, in general that doesn't bother me the way it does most others (hell, many people just shudder at the recollection that reading about nails on a chalk board causes - cheers to you). For instance, I always die a little, inside, when I see someone write "etc." as "ect". You just know that they're the same kind of person that needs to "axe" you a question. You know that when they need to wait to get into a venue, get service at the DMV, or other similar situations, they get in a "que" (though, more likely that's how they'll write if if they're even aware that the word "queue" exists and want to be "fancy").

I really need to stop reading message boards and comments sections on news sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment