Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cynical Turns of Phrase

I'm one of the bajillion people that has a login on LinkedIn. I'm even part of a couple professional groups - mostly "alumni' type groups. That said, I occasionally get emails of the various groups' digests. In a couple of the groups, there's people that like to post about "social media strategy".

This has got to be one of the most cynical turns of phrases of the current tech era. I mean, I get that businesses are always looking for new ways to reach potential customers. But, this seems like such a bald-faced statement of looking to exploit things.

And, in particular, it seems cynical when applied to social media that were never really meant to be "direct advertising" avenues.

In the context of LinkedIn and other business-oriented sites, I get that you might want to have a social media strategy.

I get that you might even want people to "like" your products/pages on Facebook or to follow your "Tweets" on twitter. But, the reason that we, the people that participate in social media sites, fan/or follow someone is because it's entertaining to do so. So, really, there's not that much of a "strategy" to social media. Make your stuff fun and interesting and people will pay attention. Other than doing that and it comes off like you're trying to trick us into paying attention to you and THAT is what I find so cynical about "social media strategies".

No comments:

Post a Comment