Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dear RedHat:

Why is it that, even though most real UNIX operating systems allow me to easily find new disks/LUNs with an easy to remember command (if they don't just find them on their own, automagically),  I need to remember "echo `- - -` > /sys/class/scsi_host/host#/scan". I mean, I can buy that "devfsadm", "cfgmgr", etc. might be, somehow, trademark-able command names. I can even buy that, if such names are already owned, there might not be a mnemonically-nifty command name out there. But still... Having to remember your gobbledygook just sucks.

And, if it's too much to ask for a simpler, easier to remember command, at least be sorta consistent with things. Other operations-that-oughtta-be-commands tend to happen against locations in /proc. Inconsistency just makes this shit pointlessly difficult. Oh well, I guess it gives you a reason to justify the prices for your RHCT/RHCE classes and exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment