Tuesday, June 29, 2010

When The Time Comes

Given our relative healths (mostly basing on underlying chronic conditions) I am anticipating that, absent "misadventure", I am going to outlive Donna - possibly by quite a bit. Now, obviously, I'm hoping that the mortality-based parting of ways won't happen for quite some time.

That said, I do sort of have plans for what to do should that eventuality come to pass. Overall, I'm not a "home"-oriented person. In my entire life, I've never felt any kind of real attachment to a place: not the place I was born, not the place(s) I grew up, not where I went to college, not any place I've lived my adult life. While my job currently has me working "local", my work history has afforded me the opportunity to travel for a combined eight years. Given my feeling of rootlessness, this was always a good fit.

Much of my job choices have been centered around supporting my personal responsibilities - family (wife and pets), servicing my debts and maintaining my skills set (and thus my future employability). Once I am alone, my responsibilities will, essentially, be reduced to just maintaining myself. I figure, with this limited set of responsibilities, I will be able to afford a more simplified lifestyle. I'll sell the house, liquidate any other assets I have available, and just "drop out". Depending on any pets I might have, I may either wait for them to pass (to drop out) or may opt to take them with me.

One thing's for sure: "dropping out" will be my farewell tour. I'll travel to wherever the road takes me. That's where I'll die, too. Dunno if I'll go full hobo. Doubtful. It's easy enough to ensure that you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment